National Girls and Women in Sports Day and Recreation Clinic
Westminster University celebrates National Girls and Women in Sports Day by hosting an annual recreation clinic for girls ages 6–14, sponsored by the Fitness, Wellness, and Recreation Department and the Westminster University Athletics Department.
The 12th annual clinic will be held on Saturday, February 11, 2023, from 1:45–5:30 p.m. in the Dolores Doré Eccles Health, Wellness, and Athletic Center (HWAC).
History of National Girls and Women in Sports Day
In 2023, we will celebrate the 37th annual National Girls and Women in Sports Day. In celebration, thousands of sports educators, coaches, athletic directors, recreation directors, association members, sponsors, students, and parents across the country will show their support. This celebration inspires girls and women to play and be active, to realize their full power. The confidence, strength and character gained through sports participation are the very tools girls and women need to become strong leaders in sports and life.
For more information about National Girls and Women in Sports Day, visit the Women's Sports Foundation website.
Play, believe, achieve! The Fitness, Wellness, and Recreation Department is making an effort to get as many girls active as possible. No skills are required and all levels are encouraged to participate. Registration will open at 8 a.m. on Monday, January 9, 2023.
The registration fee is $15 per participant, which includes a t-shirt and water bottle for the first 200 girls who register. Scholarships are available and ability adaptations will be made as needed for any of the scheduled sports/activities.
You will be placed in sessions based on your activity preferences and session availability. Every effort will be made to accommodate your top 3 choices, however, placement cannot be guaranteed in any activity and you may get your 4th–6th choices. Some activities are not able to accommodate as many participants as others and will fill up quickly. Register early to help improve your chances of being placed in your preferred activities.
Due to the number of participants, it is not possible to notify everyone ahead of time which activities they received. Please do not ask to switch activities on the day of the event.
Requests to be in the same group as another participant will be considered if they sign up for the same activities. No requests are guaranteed.
- Contemporary Dance Technique
- Dance Cardio
- Hip hop
- Rock climbing
- Martial Arts
- Swimming/H20 Sports
- Table tennis (ping pong)
- Track and field
What to Expect the Day of the Clinic
- Please arrive between 1:45-2:15 p.m. for check-in.
- Check-in and drop-off will be on the west side of the Dolores Doré Eccles Health, Wellness, and Athletic Center (HWAC). Enter campus from 1700 South and turn south on 1200 East. At the stop sign, go straight and park underneath the elevated playing field. You will see the entrance to HWAC on your left as you are driving to the parking garage.
- When you check in, you will get two name tags—one for your water bottle and one for your shirt. One of your name tags will have your 3 activities listed.
- After check-in, you will gather on the main court and go with your group to your activities. After the third activity, you will pick up your certificate, get your snacks, and will need to be picked up by 5:30 p.m.
Tennis shoes and appropriate athletic attire are recommended. If one of your choices was swimming or kayaking, a swimsuit and towel are required. If the weather is nice, some of the activities may take place outside, otherwise, everything will be held indoors.
- Registration and check-in: 1:45–2:15 p.m.
- Session 1: 2:30–3:15 p.m.
- Session 2: 3:30–4:15 p.m.
- Session 3: 4:30–5:15 p.m.
- Snacks and certificates: 5:15–5:30 p.m.
Assistant Dean of Students, Student Wellbeing & Support