May Term Study Experiences are a long-standing Westminster tradition, and many students look back on their study experience as the highlight of their time at Westminster. Designed to be cost-effective with maximum impact, they are a great short-term study abroad option. Successful completion of any May Term Study Experience will fulfill the WCore Engaging the World requirement.
All currently enrolled Westminster University undergraduate students are eligible to register for a study experience. Students who wish to participate but not register for a course must receive permission from the faculty leader. Non-student guests who are over 18 years old can participate if space is available and the faculty leader gives permission. Non-student participants do not earn credits or pay tuition, but must pay the advertised cost for trip expenses and a $400 administrative fee.
Each study experience offers different courses depending on the faculty leaders and the location of travel. The majority of courses offered as part of the study experiences do not have prerequisites. Students will register for 1 course worth 4 credits. Courses can fulfill the WCore Engaging the World requirement and/or a general elective. Students should speak with their faculty advisor if they would like the course to fulfill a major/minor requirement.
Standard tuition is not charged for May Term Study Experience courses. Instead, a $100 per credit administrative fee is charged in addition to the travel expenses. Each MTSE course is 4 credits, therefore the administrative fee is $400 per MTSE.
"I am almost a nurse and this trip helped me come to the conclusion that I want to be a pediatrician FNP. My favorite part was working with the kids at a school in Omkoi. Seeing their smiley faces and happiness made me want to keep doing service and help children the best way I can."
– Fernanda Rubilar, Nursing '23
Registration for 2024 May Term Study Experiences will begin on October 24, 2023. Registration is first-come, first-served, and will continue until the study experience is full or until Jan. 24, 2024, whichever comes first. Please be aware that some study experiences will fill quickly.
Registration for May Term Study Experiences is no longer through Self Service. Registration information for each upcoming May Term Study Experience will be available on October 24, 2023.
A $300 deposit is required to confirm participation in a study experience and must be paid before registering. The deposit is non-refundable and non-transferable and will be applied towards the trip expenses.
Westminster University strongly recommends that all participants in off-campus study experiences be fully vaccinated and boosted prior to departure. All participants, regardless of vaccination status, are covered by the university's international health insurance policy.
If host site policies require vaccinations or COVID testing upon arrival, unvaccinated participants may be unable to participate in a program. Unvaccinated participants are solely responsible for any financial implications resulting from travel interruptions that are a result of their unvaccinated status.
Any student with a registration hold will be contacted by the Office for Global Engagement. Failure to resolve the hold within 48 hours of being contacted may result in the student forfeiting the spot in the Study Experience. To avoid any complications, all students are encouraged to look in Self-Service for information on holds and resolve any outstanding holds prior to signing up for a May Term Study Experience.
Payment Schedule for all Study Experiences
Deposit Due: Upon registration
Final Payment Due: Feb. 1
The remaining course cost and administrative fee will be assessed on your student account and is payable in Self-Service.
"Traveling across Denmark, Sweden, and Iceland was life changing and a really transformative experience. Not only did I get to meet and connect with some really amazing Westminster students, being able to explore the inner workings of these countries was something I will never forget. Each country was unique and beautiful but my favorite would have to be Iceland. The landscapes were jaw dropping!"
- To withdraw from a study experience, the participant must notify the faculty leader in writing of the intention to withdraw.
- A $300 deposit is non-refundable and non-transferable unless Westminster University cancels the May Term Study Experience due to insufficient enrollment prior to Jan. 31, 2024.
- If a student withdraws from the study experience between January 25, 2024 and March 31, 2024, they are responsible for the $300 deposit and half of the course fee charged in Self-Service.
- If a student withdraws from the course on April 1, 2024 or later, they are responsible for the $300 deposit and 100% of the course fee charged in Self-Service.
- The $400 administrative fee is refundable per the undergraduate Summer Term tuition payment and refund schedule.
- If a participant withdraws from the study experience because of COVID-19 directly before departure or during the study experience, any costs related to the COVID-19 diagnosis, including, but not limited to, medical expenses, quarantine/isolation lodging, meals, and/or itinerary changes, are the sole responsibility of the participant. Westminster University will refund any recoverable expenses recovered from third parties, however, any unrecoverable expenses are non-refundable and are the participant’s responsibility.
- Westminster University reserves the right to cancel a study experience or make modifications to the itinerary and/or academic program due to factors that are beyond Westminster's control. In the event of such a cancellation after Jan. 31, 2024, the university will refund any recoverable expenses to the participant. Any other unrecoverable expenses are non-refundable and will be the responsibility of the participant.
Share your memorable moments.
Learning beyond the classroom can be a truly transformative experience. Sharing those experiences invites, inspires, and encourages others to step outside their comfort zones and try something new. Whether you’re embarking on a Field Semester, Expedition, May Term Study Experience, or Non-Credit Trip, follow a few tips for sharing your experience on social media.