Queer, transgender, non-binary, and non-cisgendered students at Westminster face many of the same challenges as other students: getting along with roommates, creating a new group of friends, and getting to class on time. In addition, LGBTQ+ students face many unique challenges. Westminster has a commitment to supporting the LGBTQ+ community on campus, and many resources are available to aid that mission.
Queer Compass and the Student Diversity and Inclusion Center are available to talk about the resources and services available on campus for queer, transgender, non-binary, and non-cisgendered students and can also offer guidance to help you to get to other support resources you may need. For more info, email the center at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Supporting Transgender Students and Employees Policy
- Using Preferred Names: Westminster values and honors diverse experiences and perspectives. Referring to students and employees by the name they wish to be called creates a welcoming and respectful learning and working environment.
- Gender Inclusive Restrooms: Westminster is committed to providing all students, faculty, and staff with safe, inclusive restrooms.
- Residential Housing Information: Every student has the right to a safe and gender-affirming living situation in their on-campus housing.
- Study abroad resources for LGBTQ+ students
Planned Parenthood has a lot of helpful information about Hormone Replacement Therapy and other gender affirming procedures.
Salt Lake City Hormone Replacement Therapy doctors
- Rebirth OB-GYN
- University of Utah Health Sugar House Health Center
- University of Utah Transgender Health Center
Sexual Health Resources
- Trans Sexual Health info sheets from Mischievous (a queer-owned sex store in Salt Lake City)
- General information on sexual health for transgender people from the Hormone Health Network
- Utah AIDS Foundation: HIV/AIDS testing and advocacy, food bank, and information about treatment.
- Salt Lake County Health Department STI Testing: Low cost STI testing
- Planned Parenthood: A national clinic offering inclusive sexual and reproductive healthcare on a sliding scale. The Salt Lake City clinic is only a few blocks from Westminster's campus.
- Transgender Education Advocates of Utah: A statewide transgender (trans) advocacy organization that provides help and resources for changing name and gender markers, as well as essential healthcare and transition-related resources.
- Transgender Inclusion Project (legal advocates): A transgender advocacy organization working towards building a support system for Utah's transgender community.
Support and Social Groups
- Utah Pride Center: Local organizing, counseling and support, and events. They host the annual Queer Prom as well as several other events.
- Encircle: Offering annual LGBTQ+ youth summit and weekly friendship circles, as well as accessible therapy on a sliding scale.
- SLC Slay: A local dance and social group hosting balls, vogueing, and kikis. Generally 18+.
Utah Community Events
Check out the Utah Pride Center's community events calendar for events involving the Salt Lake community, education, mental health and suicide prevention, and Pride celebrations.
- Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network (GLEN)
- Education, information, and advocacy aimed at youth and schools
- Resources on starting GSA/QSAs
- Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLG)
- Resources for navigating family dynamics
- Resources for navigating advocacy
- Human Rights Campaign Utah: One of the largest LGBTQ+ advocacy groups in the nation.